From:
"Anne M. Nagrant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 13:29:40 -0400
We're a village museum with a number of buildings, so what we do may or may not work for a historic home. That said...

I think the length of a tour depends on the size of the house, and the stories that could be told there. I think 45 minutes may be good, and on par with a session of class at school. We do an hour and a half here. Every group of visitors is different, of course, and has different interests.

It's also nice to be able to vary the tours, so I'd suggest giving the docents options. There should be a summary of "information which MUST be included in EVERY tour" but also a number of storylines for every room/exhibit which may or may not be mentioned on any one tour. This allows for varied group interest and also for personal guide style.

Is the exhibit on the 1st floor intended to be self-guided? Is it necessary for the docents to guide visitors through the exhibit? The docent would need to tell them things which are not already included in the exhibit. Visitors could peruse the exhibit at their own pace, either before or after the guided tour of the other 1st-floor rooms.

Our museum is generally a self-guided experience, except for monthly (or more) guided tours, and our educational/public programs. On the days of our tours, visitors who arrive early are welcome to go upstairs and view the exhibit until we announce that the tour is beginning. Everyone is still welcome to do a self-guided walkaround, at any time, apart from staff too.

-Anne Nagrant

Troy Museum & Historic Village

 PLEASE NOTE -  All City of Troy email suffixes have changed
Update all contact information by replacing
@ci.troy.mi.us
 with
@troymi.gov