From:
"J./B. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 12:50:29 -0500
Many people overcome their objection to Christmas trees when they are
placed in an interpretive context that stresses the pagan aspects of the
custom and its origins in winter solstice celebrations. We take care to
explain both the Christian and non-Christian symbolism. In fact, several
cultural institutions are dropping the term "Christmas" and going to
"solstice."

Last year we purchased 9 or 10 small, live evergreens and placed them
outside our studios with lights.  We asked all the classes to help us by
handcrafting ornaments and decorating their trees to represent their
media--painting, ceramics, wood, glassblowing, photography, etc.--and we
then advertised and held a silent auction of the decorated trees over
the course of about 10 days.  After the cost of the trees were covered
(we had the lights already) all proceeds went to our scholarship fund.
Some trees had really high bids--I think the highest was the glass
studio's tree that brought a $90 bid.  People really seemed to like this
and begged to do it again next year.

We also purchased a large (9 ft) tree and installed it in our library,
with ornaments made by the staff and the youth classes.  In addition, we
asked our members and students who had a spare menorah or a spare
Kwanzaa kinara to bring it in and we had a display of them on the
library fireplace mantel.  We provided interpretation of the symbolism
of all, and explained all the holidays, their origins, and celebrations
via signage.  This year we also plan to bring in some Asian and other
celebrations of the early winter season--focusing on the art, since we
are a community visual arts organization.

Julia Muney Moore
Director of Exhibitions and Artist Services
Indianapolis Art Center