From:
Wesley Creel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:16:25 -0500
Good Afternoon Karen,
In the future, please feel free to give me a telephone call on this subject. I have been involved in the planning/programming, design, and construction (and more importantly "living with") a half-dozen new museums and a new nature center over the past 30+ years.  Museums are complicated places.....much like hospitals.  If the technical requirements and programming aren't sensitive to the real day-to-day needs of the museum visitors (during normal hours & after hours special events), staff, volunteers, maintenance workers, and collections....one could be stuck with a pretty building that can't do push-ups.
Good Luck and more importantly,......Have Fun!
Wesley
>>> [log in to unmask] 09/13/04 12:02PM >>>
thank you this helps as we plan our museum expansion.

Wesley S. Creel
Administrator of Programs
Pink Palace Family of Museums
3050 Central Avenue
Memphis, TN 38111-3399
www.memphismuseums.org
(901) 320-6370 Direct
(901) 320-6391 FAX

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/16/04 11:37AM >>>
Good Afternoon Karen,
     This question comes up every year or so......so here is my answer
to this question from last August, taken from the listserve archives.
Please remember that every museum is different......so there is no ideal
formula.....nevertheless here is an answer, albeit imperfect.
With regards to percentages of floor space, here's my two cents:
1.)  30% exhibition galleries and public programming areas (such as an
auditorium, classroom or meeting area);
2.)  30% collection storage and processing/conservation areas;
3.)  40% everything else (hallways, lobby, museum retail area and
retail
storage, non-collections storage, restrooms, heating and cooling
mechanical
areas HVAC, janitorial spaces, staff offices and meeting rooms,
security,
exhibition fabrication area, chase ways for ductwork,......etc.,
etc.).
Please note that most folks usually end up robbing #2 and #3 to get
more of
#1 and after a couple of years start kicking themselves.....and
unfortunately, never stop kicking themselves.......I am speaking from
experience.
I hope this helps, and best wishes for success!
Wesley
P.S.  This ratio (and all others) is (are) always up for discussion
since some museums store and exhibit smaller things (archaeological) and
some museums store and exhibit larger things (industrial and
mechanical), therefore each type of museum has its own particular set of
issues to deal with....causing many design issues to be considered such
as floor loads (how much weight can a floor hold), elevator sizes, and
hallway widths and heights, to name a few......
Wesley S. Creel
Administrator of Programs
Pink Palace Family of Museums
Memphis, Tennessee
U.S.A.
Telephone 901.320.6370
www.memphismuseums.org

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/16/04 11:31AM >>>
Hi everyone, I have a question regarding collection storage space and
exhibit space. On the collection storage  is  there any rule of thumb
ie, size of collection, how many square feet (metes) per object etc.
What I am looking for is if you were given the opportunity and the
means
to build a new facility what amount of space would you allocate for
collection storage or how would you determine how much space you will
need.  Same for exhibit space.
thanks
Karen  Richardson
Curator
Princeton Museum

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

The City of Riverside has changed its domain name to "riversideca.gov".
Please make note of this change for your email records.

Effective July 17, 2004, the City's area code has changed to 951.
On October 31, 2004, callers must use the correct 951 area code to complete
their calls.

If you have any questions regarding this message, please direct your inquiries
to [log in to unmask] or call 951-826-5311
<<<<City of Riverside>>>>