From:
"Mary L. Kirby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:58:11 -0500
On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 03:51:07 -0700 Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
 Good grief! The troops just got there. It's not like they could have
walked
into the city and stationed troops willy nilly. Again, there are  still
pockets
 of resistance, traps to uncover and there were POWs to be found.
 Troops can't be everywhere.

Agreed, but the British did wait for some time before they entered
Bashra.

It would seem to me that some of the "planners" Rumsfeld speaks of could
have prepared some military police units to go into key places prepared
to fire on rioting people.

IT is not just museums. In the craziness of the looting, UNESCO says the
vacines were looted and the vaccination records destroyed.

I have not heard any commentor suggesting it, but I personnally have
wondered if some of the security police/Republic guard/ Hassam protogees
might have joined the "civilians" and deliberately joined the assault in
order to destroy incriminating evidence.

It appears to me the military can secure some places such as under ground
prisons with records of who was held captive, so having evidence for war
crimes trials did appear to be on the radar screens of the planners. Long
after the "criminals" have been prosecuted, I hope we will have recovered
some of the gold treasures looted from the museums.

Apparently Saddam Hussan was not that much a connesieur of the national
treasures, at least from the photos shown of items not looted from the
palaces.

Mary Kirby
Historic Upshur Museum