From:
Tori Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 2015 17:55:00 +0000
We have a little different scenario, but I thought it was worth sharing....

We are a historic house located within a zoo. There is a fee for entering the zoo, but no extra fee for touring the house. We do have a donation box at the end of the (guided) tour, and our tour guides end the tour by mentioning the donation box and the fact that 100% of the donations stay at the home for preservation purposes. That helps get us a pretty significant amount of donations, even though people have already paid an admission price. Last year we saw about 22,000 visitors and about $3500 in donations. Not a high percentage of money per person, but still... We do get a fair amount of $20 bills dropped in, for which I always say a silent thank you. We have a lot of people who always assume there is an additional cost to tour the house, and are pleasantly surprised when there isn't one.

Bottom line for us, I think, is people are happy to donate to something that they enjoyed and felt worth their time, especially when there isn't pressure up front to donate or pay.

Tori Mason

Historic Site Mgr

Nashville Zoo at Grassmere