From:
Vicki Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:06:23 -0500
Aric -

Your e-mail address seems to indicate you are in New York State. If that is true, one of the Documentary Heritage Program's regional archivists may be able to help you. I'd need to know the county in which you are located so that I know who to put you in contact with.

Also, David Carmicheal (note spelling of last name) put out a book through the University of Pennsylvania (if memory serves me correctly) that should prove useful. David's at the Westchester County Archives, [log in to unmask] or 914-592-5614.

Finally, the Documentary Heritage Program of the NYS Archives and Records Administration has a pamphlet entitled "Basic Elements of an Archival Program" that I would be happy to send you if you would send me your USPS address.

Vicki Weiss
Archivist
New York State Archives and Records Administration

>>> Aric Peery <[log in to unmask]> 12/21 9:07 PM >>>
Can anyone recommend a good source of information on setting up an archives from scratch? The orgainization I'm volunteering for has most of their collections stored in cardboard boxes, plastic storage containers, and sitting out in the open, and I'm not sure where to start. I have catalogs from several of the archival supply firms, so I'm aware of the products that are out there, but I have many questions and not sure where to get answers from. I looked at the Society of Amercian Archivists book catalog, but none of the titles seemed to deal with the basics of getting started (unless I overlooked it). Any leads?

Aric Peery