From:
"John A. Bing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 08:03:14 -0700
Claudia,

Following is an outline of my portion of an orientation program I gave
when a Trustee of the Laguna Art Museum.  The overall program was in
two parts: First, the Director described the museum, his staff,
organization, its functions and personnel.  I then described the roll
of the Board of Trustees per the following outline.  Note, the AAM
manual was out of print in 2003.  I do not know if the revised manual
is out. We had been giving copies to all Trustees.

John Bing

				Laguna Art Museum
			Trustee Orientation, 25 January, 2003

			  The Role of the Trustee

I.  Introduction

	a)   "Museum Trusteeship" AAM handbook (excerpts)
	     "The more a trustee learns about his role and that of the
	        museum, the more successful and rewarding will be his
		service to the museum and to himself."

	c)   The purpose of this Orientation is to help us all get a
		better understanding of our museum and the role we
                play in its support.

	d)    The 1996 "merger" has taught us that we cannot be
		 complacent about our community jewel.

II.  The Role or Roles of Trustees

	a)  Stewardship of the organization
		Board is ultimately responsible for every aspect of
		 the museum. Including the building, the collection;
		 everything

	b)  Fiduciary responsibility
		It is broad and all encompassing
		To the institution and to its members
		We hold the assets of LAM in trust for the public

	c)  The Mission Statement and Bylaws
		They reflect our goal and basic rules.
		The board determines the present and the future
		    direction  of the museum

	d)    Setting Museum Policy vs. micro managing
		We set policy but not the day to day work

	e)   The Budget & Fund raising
		 Two most important duties: money, money
		We approve the budget, therefore, we are responsible
		 to fund it.

	f)   Oversight through committees
		 Committees are an extension of the Board.
	           To monitor the museum activities
		We have a right to see any document .
		Problems uncovered are reported to the President

	g)    Selection of Director
		 We have the power to hire and fire

	h)   Supporter/Cheerleader
		Think Public Relations

III.   Trustee Relationships and Responsibilities

	a) With the Director and Staff
		 We wear two hats: (one re policy as trustee and, two,
		 as volunteer when helping the Director)

	b) Ethics and Conflict of Interests
		We cannot use the museum for personal gain
		 Some past Trustees tried to
		Full disclosure is essential.

	c) With Members :
		    The lifeblood of the museum
		   We cannot survive without them
		   Treat them as you do customers

IV.  Board Committees
	Their purposes
		To do, to help,
		To monitor,
		To plan, &
		To support

V.  What is expected of LAM Trustees

	Loyalty to the museum
		We must never forget this

	Participation in Board meetings and Committees

	FUND RAISING
		Suggest fund raising ideas
	 	Give till it hurts
		Encourage others to give

	Attendance at museum functions
		Important to set an example
		If you don't attend, how can you expect others to?
		Includes: Exhibition Openings, Galas,  Auctions,
		1st Thursdays  and Parties

JAB 22 Jan. 03