From:
Lara Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 09:14:20 -0500
I completely agree with you on one level--students who are studying and
would like to work in a museum should definitely take non-profit marketing,
finanace, and a grant-writing seminar.  But I think many programs steer
people into academia over museum work.  In terms of writing personal
grants, to fund dissertation research, for example, I think most PhD
programs do incorporate that as a seminar.  However, there has to be some
personal responsibility, expecially in graduate school, to design electives
that cater to your career ambitions.  Academic counseling is not very
extensive in graduate school.

                    Lori Allen
                    <[log in to unmask]        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    EDU>                        cc:
                    Sent by: Museum             Subject:     Re: TOPIC ONE:  Top Ten Challenges
                    discussion list
                    LSOFT.COM>

                    09/21/2001 08:49 AM
                    Please respond to
                    Museum discussion
                    list

Aaron,
Wow, can't believe they didn't know what Poofda's were!  Anyway, Macs are a
viable option for some.  And I know they are a superior machine in a lot of
respects. but even they get outdated.  Mostly my point was the lack of
respect for staff and technology needs.  People see it as costing a lot to
invest.  They rarely see how much it cost them NOT to invest.

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!  They teach us asinine details about esoteric artists
when
the reality is that we need to know how to do a budget, understand cash
flow
statements, grant writing and marketing.  They tell us that we need to work
to gain this type of practical experience, but the pay is so low, many
can't
afford to do it.  Plus, museums want this knowledge and experience even for
entry level jobs. My graduate program doesn't even have a class in
non-profit management in the curriculum.  I plan to take one anyway, as
well
as other Public Policy Management classes, but that is only because I am
over 30, street-wise and can finally afford to take electives.

Note to Professors on list:
INSIST your students take some business classes, including non-profit
management and marketing non-profit agencies.  Include grant-writing
seminars for all seniors and grad students in your programs.  Stop making a
language minor a requirement...especially if the student is majoring in
American History or Art.  Two years of language is enough for anyone and
stop limiting that to German and French.  Spanish, for a large part of this
country, is a much more applicable language for both research of
contemporary art and daily use with staff and visitors.  Even if your
program is training academians, they need to know how to get grants for
themselves, their programs and how to partner with other institutions in
the
community.

Lori Allen,
Grad Student, UMSL