From:
Elizabeth Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 09:16:44 -0400
Dear CMS,

It makes a big difference if you are moving thousands of objects.  I
used to work at NMNH and at one point when we were moving collections
from one building to another we could move thousands of objects in a
single day.  Instead of typing in all of those new storage locations we
could easily scan a cabinet with hundreds of small objects in minutes
with no human typing errors.

Here at VMNH, we are constructing a totally new building about a mile
away from our current facility.  As we prepare to move our 22 million
plus objects we will be barcoding to track movement, inventory, and to
be able to perform inventory checks in the future.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Moore, PhD
Curator of Collections and Archaeology
Virginia Museum of Natural History