From:
John Suau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 09:21:19 -0400
Emma,
Thank you from coming out of the dark and posing such interesting, timely
and provocative questions.  I was encouraged to see that someone is doing
research into this topic.  It has been part of my job here at AAM for the
past two years. We are struggling with these questions, too.

I was interested in reading the responses you might get over the weekend and
expected at least a few.  But I am disappointed to see that no one has
initiated a discussion around the topic.  I have been involved in the
Smithsonian Center for Education and Museum Studies' Diversity Seminar for
two consecutive years and have learned about many programs that are
flourishing in culturally specific museums and several that are struggling
in "mainstream" institutions.

I would encourage you to look at AAM's annual meeting program for May 14-18
in Baltimore this year.  There are over 30 sessions on multicultural issues,
many of which address the issues you raise about community outreach programs
and diversity initiatives.  Also, there is an issues luncheon on Thursday,
May 18 on Diversity which is sponsored by the AAM Council of Standing
Professional Committees and features Ray Suarez (NPR, PBS) as a keynote and
a facilitated discussion around this very issue.

Please also refer to the AAM Web page and the link to the AAM Diversity
Coalition.  This ad hoc committee has moved diversity initiatives forward at
AAM in the past 12 months and will establish a strategic agenda for
diversity issues at the AAM in July of 2000.   They have also planned a
number of activities for the annual meeting including the Second Annual
Diversity Coalition Silent Auction.  The funds from this auction go toward a
scholarship fund to encourage and support museum professionals from diverse
backgrounds to attend AAM annual meetings and professional education
seminars.  You will also find many useful links to other web sites on
diversity from the Diversity Coalition's homepage
(http://www.homestead.com/aamdiversitycoalition/homepage.html)

I know there are museums out there strategizing about diversity initiatives.
I hope the individuals on this list-server who may be "lurking" like you
were come out, speak up and raise the issues and problems they have
encountered when addressing the needs of the entire community.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you want more information about AAM
and diversity initiatives.

Good luck!
John T. Suau
Meetings and Diversity Coordinator