From:
Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 13:45:11 -0700
Kyle,

That's a good question, and probably one with multiple answers. From my
experience, I say that if you are applying in a situation where there is
a lot of structure to the hiring process (such as a government agency or
a university which may have a separate Human Resources Dept. that
screens applications) you might be doing the museum a favor to submit
two separate applications. For instance, they might look at the
application you submitted for one job, decide they really have a better
candidate for that one, but they like you too, and think you'd be great
for the other job. If you haven't submitted an application and there was
a strict hiring deadline so it was too late for them to call you and
say, "Apply for the other one..." you (and they) might be out of luck.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to make a phone inquiry to the museum (asking
for the 'Personnel Director' should get you to the right person whether
there is one or not), or even the Human Resources Dept. of an agency,
and sound them out about it. From their point of view, they are trying
to get the best people they can, and after hearing verbally of your
background they might advise you to go for one job or the other.  You
then could ask if it would be appropriate to apply for both. They'll
probably be pretty straightforward about it, and, after all, by then
it's no secret that you are trying to land a job. The bonus to doing
this is that by making the call, you have become "a person" to them, and
you will stick in their mind more when they are going over the
applications. It also shows that you are proactive about getting things
done and try to do things right, both of which are great traits in an
employee.

The one exception is that if the ad says something like "no phone
inquiries" you don't want to be seen as someone who either doesn't
follow directions, or didn't read the ad carefully. In one such case
though, that I recall, while I couldn't call the City agency in
question, their Human Resource Dept. people were most helpful.

As for the letter question, you'd have to play that by ear. If it's a
very small museum, one might do. But usually, since they will have the
applications for the two positions in separate files, you would send
two, each tailored to the particular position.

Good luck,

Lucy Sperlin
Heritage Management
Chico, CA