From:
Stuart Holm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 22:11:14 +0100
Emily Nedell <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>I would be interested in hearing from a Museum which uses classification
>numbers instead of "accession numbers" (year.#) for organizing its
>records and labelling purposes. We are in the process of automating our
>collection and the director and I have been arguing back and forth about
>the merits of doing it one way vs. the other. He wants us on a numeric
>system so that all newspapers begin with a one number, lithostones
>another number, wood engravings another, etc. I said that Museums don't
>do it that way, and in my cataloging I am already assigning both
>a physical description and subject headings/descriptors which would make
> this kind of numeric system redundant.

You are absolutely right.  Not only is it redundant, it is frought with
problems.  I have seen many UK museums get into difficulties doing this.
Before computers were available it seemed to some curators an attractive
option as the accessions list was self indexing.  However, sooner or
later things usually go wrong.  Someone will assign an item to the wrong
category.  It may look like a wood engraving but one day some expert
will decide that it was produced by some other process.  Then you either
stick with the old number (which is confusing and negates the point of
using the system in the first place) or you change it to the next number
in the sequence for its new classified category, which is a recipe for
disaster.  Accession numbers should be permanent.  Classifications
change with advancing knowledge and ideas.

Another problem I have come across in such systems is the handling of
multiple classifications.  Not all objects fit neatly into one category.
I have worked with museums which have got themselves into a real mess by
cross-referencing and thus allocating two identity numbers to the same
item.  Not a good idea!

In my experience this approach to numbering is doomed.  Even without
computers it cannot be recommended.  I am sure I will not be alone in
recommending that you stick to your year.# approach (even the year is
redundant but in my experience curators cling to it and it does no
harm).

I hope this helps

Regards

Stuart
--
Stuart Holm, Heritage Documentation Projects     Tel: 01603 870772
2 New Road, Reepham, Norwich NR10 4LP         E-mail: [log in to unmask]