From:
Robert Handy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 13:03:46 -0600
Bruce Miller wrote:

> Robert T. Handy wrote:
> >
> > Deb Fuller wrote:
>
> > > Why is the use of the word "slave" such a bad thing?
> > >
> > > Deb
> >
> > Yeah, like pretending no Jews were killed in the holocaust.
> > --
> > Bob Handy, Director
> > Brazoria County Historical Museum
> > 100 East Cedar
> > Angleton, Texas 77515
> > (409) 864-1208
> > (409) 864-1217 (Fax)
> > http://www.bchm.org
>
> Director Bob,
> Very politically correct, but what's your point?
>
> Bruce Miller

It was not my intent to be politically correct (if you knew me well you
would understand why that label doesn't fit).  My point was that
ignoring the existence and reality of slavery--by calling them servants
or whitewashing the practice (excuse the pun) is like suggesting no Jews
were killed in the Holocaust.  Maybe you are one of those who argues
that there was no holocaust.  If so, I don't want to discuss it with
you.  I hope, however, you were simply asking for clarification.