From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 13:10:52 -0400
On 8/5/05, Katie Anderson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Here's the dilemma.  My dear friend from the band says most re-enactors
> would expect to and be willing to pay $50 per couple max.  I don't want this
> to be an elitist event but $50 for a couple doesn't break even much less
> raise funds!  We had planned on advertising the ball to regional re-enactors
> and inviting local re-enactors.  I don't want to offend them with the high
> ticket price.  We really need them there to provide a sense of authenticity.
>  The band members will receive free tickets but I can't give all re-enactors
> free tickets.  I can't think of a way to have two ticket prices without it
> becoming uncomfortable.

How about putting on the invite "period attire encouraged but not
required" to encourage people to come in costume?

I agree that if you NEED the reenactors there and they will be
expected to work to provide atmosphere, they should get a break on the
ticket price. But you are doing this for a fund-raiser so you don't
want throngs of reenactors to get in for free.

Can you invite them for the dancing part for free and have them skip
the dinner? (And what does SCV stand for?)

And here's an example that might help: my Navy unit works with a local
tall ship that hosts a big gala fund-raiser every year. The ship
doesn't have the funds to let everyone in for free but they do like to
have some of the guys there for "atmosphere". Thus the unit members
who have done the most work for the unit and the ship get the coveted
slots at the gala, and they're expected to work. It's not just about
snarfing cream puffs and drinking free beer.

So I'd say, if you know some reenactors who have put in a lot of time
with your organization and have good impressions, I'd ask them if they
want to come at cost. Then I'd open it up to other reenactors for a
discount but not less than the cost of food and put a cap on the
number so you make your money. And Candy's right - a cash bar will cut
your costs and probably get you more money at the event.

Reenactors should understand that you aren't trying to be elitist but
are trying to do a fund-raiser. Well, good reenactors should at any
rate. Then there are those who get the period outfits and think they
should get into everything for free because of it.

Deb