From:
Audra Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 10:39:51 -0400
Another thought on salaries would be to check with the state and federal registries or personnel offices (www.opm.gov for feds) Through the feds you can find the grade level for positions in your area, then you can check the pay table for that area. (Feds have location pay indexed into their pay these days.)
It does vary widely as do the benefits. If you can't offer good wages, a retirement package and an insurance package, perhaps you can offer a good leave package.  Do take a look at the cost of living in your area and decide how many other jobs you want your EO to have.

The opinions expressed in this email are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of her employer.

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/04/03 10:29PM >>>
In my experience, the only museum personnel who make anything near these
salary ranges are upper level federal or state employees.

I don't know what staff in university museums make.

I have an MA in museum work and considerable experience. The best I ever
made was working up from $27k to $40k in a corporate museum (with full
benefits and even a 401-k) where I was the newest and I'm sure, the lowest
paid museum staff member. I suspect the secretary made more than me since
she had more company seniority.

In my last job I was working for a local historial society as ED and making
$35k with absolutely no benefits other than my employer paying FICA, etc.,
and I was working 50+ hrs. per week on average, since I was there during a
period of major transition.  I learned a lot, but decided to leave so I
could have my life back.

NP