From:
Patricia McElyea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 11:00:35 CST
        I promised myself that I would stay out of this discussion, but I am
finding that hard to do.  I more than understand the recent
graduates' frustrations and concerns when faced with a tight job
market and looming student loan payments.  But lets be honest here.
Most Museum Studies programs make it perfectly clear how much effort
needs to go into the job search.  With an ever increasing number of
programs pumping out an ever increasing number of graduates, it only
makes sense that institutions will look for those with more
experience.  No one ever said there was a guarenteed job waiting for
any of us.  If you are not willing to put in the effort to obtain as
much experience as possible and perhaps take an "entry-level"
position then you must accept that you will be at a disadvantage.   I
have been in your situation.  I had to take a non-museum related
clerical job to meet the bills while still volunteering at the
Historical Society and sending out resumes. It can be done, but it
will take effort.  This field is a rich and rewarding one, but only
for those with the drive and dedication to stay with it through the
lean times.

Patricia McElyea                                 Unless the heart sees
Curator of Collections                           The mind will never see.
Arkansas State
   University Museum                                      --Maori proverb