Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 1996 22:29:45 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
(Peter Volk) wrote:

> What I need to know is if anyone knows of a classification system or
> keyword list designed to classify photos by the content of the image,
> rather than by location or photographer. I can always sit down and work
> out my own system, but I hate repeating work someone else has already
> done better.
>
> Are there any industry standards for this sort of collection? Can anyone
> recommend an approach that has been successful for them?

You may also wish to include more than contents info in your database.
There is a considerable amount of info to be gained by a proper technical
description of original photographs. One of my upcoming books will look
into this at length: _A Historian's/Conservator's Guide to the Technical
Assessment of Prints and Photographs_. This specialized work emphasizes
the use of physical evidence and provides experts with tips on how to
determine the date or provenance of an image according to A-process used,
B-its size, C-the type of support it is on, D-trademarks, etc.

This won't be out before next year, but in the meantime there are several
books out there that can help you with the identification of photographs.
Contact me for more info

Luis Nadeau
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
http://www.micronet.fr/~deriencg/nadeau.html