From:
Henry Grunder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 1995 08:40:55 EST
Was _panning_ used in the Klondike, as well as in California?
This would be a little less space-intensive.  Unfortunately, it
along with the other aqueous mining methods are reliant on the
_weight_ of gold particles relative to all the other stuff. Lead
could be a substitute, but presents toxicity problems.

According to Diane Brenner: