From:
Kate Carreno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 12:50:33 BST
I am looking for sample job descriptions for Museum IT Technicians -
better still University Museum IT technicians working across both a
Museum and Art History/other academic department.  Can anyone help?

The Sainsbury Centre is a University Gallery with a permanent collection
and temporary exhibition programme, housed in the same building as the
University's faculty of World Art Studies and Museology.   Until recently we
(the gallery and academic department) have 'got by' with the central IT
support provided by the University, but have got to the stage where we really
need dedicated technical support. We are in the very early stages
of thinking about pooling resources to appoint a joint museum/faculty IT
support person/technician, and it would be very useful to see what kinds of
similar jobs exist out there....

We envisage a hands-on post on a technical grade. Jobs might range from
advising on purchasing equipment, installing and configuring PC's,
trouble-shooting for staff and students, updating/maintaining web-pages,
looking after 2 servers, making sure we are making best use of the
University intranet, working on Collections management software with
curatorial staff, helping to digitise the faculty's slide collection etc etc.

It would be helpful if you could reply direct to me rather than to the list

Kate Carreno
Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts
University of East Anglia
Norwich NR4 7TJ