From:
Richard Chute <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 09:29:13 -0800
On Thu, 26 Jan 1995, Jack Thompson wrote:

>When museums begin to ask questions about what society has been taught to
>believe in furtherance of national goals I will begin writing letters to
>my congressman and senator about NEH, NEA, and NSF (Oops.  Sorry about
>including NSF; that's part of the defense/black bag budget.)

I thought that this was exactly one of the "problems" with these agencies
(and also CPB) that was leading to their "budgetary scrutiny" as well as
one of the problems with the Enola Gay exhibit.  I know that not every
museum takes the time to question what society has been taught in the
furtherance of national goals (and for some such a task might not be
relevant to their mission), but I have worked for/visited museums which
*did* ask these kinds of questions... occasionally using federal $$$ to do
it!  So, this process has at least "begun."

Moreover, isn't challenging stereotypes--whether they relate to national
goals or just to plain old everyday misunderstandings of things like, say,
botany--an educational strategy already used by many museum educators?
Maybe I'm wrong, but right now we are working on an interpretive display
for a number of vernal pools in our garden, and we are considering leading
with a heading like "What are these *mudholes* doing here?" precisely
because people misunderstand these special parts of our collection.
Starting with a misconception and then dispelling it/replacing it with an
accurate conception can (perhaps not always) be an effective approach.

A more "political" example--I used to work for an anthropology museum that
is preparing an exhibition on Haitian Vodou, and authentic, syncretic
religion combining elements of West African religion with Catholic and
Masonic influences in the New World.  Now this is a religiously,
emotionally, and politically charged topic if ever there was one.  Remember
when we invaded Panama and found all this cocaine...I mean voodoo
powder...I mean common flour in Noriega's refridgerator?  Noriega and
others politically at odds with the U.S. have frequently villified as being
practicioners of "voodoo witch craft."  Sooo, the museum must not only ask
visitors to question what society has taught them, they must ask them to
consider replacing the information with a new understanding.

I think many museums are already doing what Jack Thompson suggest they
begin doing.  Enough to merit a letter of support from him?  I don't know,
but I hope so.

Richard Chute                           [log in to unmask]
Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden         1500 North College Ave.
Claremont, CA 91711
Phone:  (909) 625-8767, ext. 222        FAX:  (909) 626-7670