From:
Beatrice Hulsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 20:41:44 -0500
One of the pleasures of this list is the very reasonable responses that do
get posted.  Judgement, of course, should be the first criteria regardless
of what the artifact is.  And, yes if the album is itself harmful to the
photographs or in such poor condition, then the preservation of the
photographs becomes the most important aspect.  The diversity of responses
to this list always opens my mind to another view - I don't always agree,
but do think about things more closely.

While sometimes it may seem that those who pose questions have not done
their homework via published references, I tend to think that perhaps they
may really not be aware that such references exist.  For example, recently
several questions came up that were obvious ones for AAM, and the list
suggested it, but what worries me is how many people are working in museums
who are not aware that AAM or regional associations exist?  I have
personally found MAAM (Mid-Atlantic Assn. of Museums) to be a great source
of help, new friends, wonderful meetings, etc.

As for the scholarship vs. community based exhibits.  I lean pretty heavily
to sound scholarship presented in a way that entices the audience to learn
more on its own.  I always wonder about "community" exhibits.  Whose
community?  My neighbors may not share my politics or religion or preference
in pets, but are we not in the same community?  Whose view is the
community's?  The majority? The people who become involved in the museum?
And what about community impressions - I live in a small town that is very
conservative.  One small historic synagogue that hardly anyone realizes is
in town, a small black population (and you won't find a black person working
in one of the town stores), so whose community viewpoints are expressed?
The majority white population whose impression is that they are the only
ones who count?  The black population? The various church congregations?
This is a complex question for me, any help?

Ah! what a GREAT soap opera.  Such a delightful dance in time.  What fitting
punishment!  Having inadvertantly stepped on one of those sticky things, I
know whereof I speak.  More, More!
Beatrice Ann Hulsberg