From:
Kristen Harbeson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 18:06:16 EST
As I've said elsewhere, I think that one of the absolutely un-quanitifiable
parts of a job interview is what one of my professors called "lunch-ability"
or how well you think this person would fit in the society of the workplace.
It seems to me that the inappropriateness of introducing personal lives into
an interview situation comes down to the possibility of assuming a greater
intimacy than a complete stranger is comfortable with.  There have been times
when an interview has been very little like a conversation with a stranger,
and more like a chat with an acquaintance or chum.  These have generally been
the jobs that I have been offered, or where the connection has brought me to
other job situations. The key, on both sides, is to read the body language
and nonverbal cues of the other people in the room and be sensitive to the
mood and the tone that the other people set.  There are things that are
inappropriate or illegal no matter what the instance, but there are some
things that have a bit more leeway, although one must be very very careful.
I think as a general rule, I try to not talk about family/relationships,
religion or politics with people during an interview. It's safer that way.