From:
GLYN BALKWILL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 17:56:00 +0200
Hi! Museum-L members

I have a query on behalf of a colleague who is not connected - a
positive response might help to convince him it's wothwhile getting
connected - even if its out his own pocket.

Please feel free to forward to any person/list you feel may be able to
help.

Mauritz Naude's message follows:

MISSING MANUSCRIPTS AND DOCUMENTS

The Carnegie Corporation funded a research project on the "workers"
and "poor-whites" in South Africa between 1928 and 1930. The
Corporation also sent two sociologists, Dr Kenyon L. Butterfield and
Dr CW Coulter to South Africa to assist local sociologists and
academics to do the survey. A report (5 volumes) called "Die
armblanke-vraagstuk in Suid-Afrika" (Pro-Ecclesia Printers:
Stellenbosch) was published in 1932. The report consisted of maps,
text, statistics and photographs. None of the original manuscripts or
photographs can be found in South Africa. Can someone help with more
information on the location of the manuscripts and photographs?

End of Mauritz' message

Please note - any typo's are mine, not Mauritz'.

This question has real relevance in examining the issues which led to
Apartheid. Many more photographs than those that appeared in the
published volumes probably existed. I understand that until recently,
access to this publication was resricted in SA and that, since it has
become `available', attempts to locate the manuscripts and photographs
have been unsuccesful.

Any help would be appreciated - contacts, references, etc.

Please send replies to my E-mail address, or by Fax to:

M Naude: Fax No:  Area code 12, No 341 - 6146

TIA

Glyn Balkwill
Dep Dir, Collection Management, National Cultural History Museum, PTA