From:
Heather Marie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:44:22 -0500
Hi Stacy,

There are great reviews and a comparison chart at this website:
http://www.transom.org/tools

They also include recording samples and they label the settings used and what the conditions were for each recording.

Ultimately, we decided on the Marantz PMD 660 because it had all the features we were interested in. It is very easy to use, the buttons are a nice size unlike some recorders that have really small buttons that are hard to push.  You can also program settings and save them for different recording conditions such as using the internal mic or an external one.  We've had ours for two years now I think and haven't had any problems with it.  It cost $600.00 at the time, but I think the price has gone down.

Heather Marie

Heather Marie Wells
Collections Assistant/Podcast Producer
Shiloh Museum of Ozark History