From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2003 18:13:10 -0700
--- "James F. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> So, how do you anticipate stupid actions by others unless you can look
> at the features of your museum with the same 'stupid' mindset and ease
> of temptation? On a philosphical level, does not legal liability, if we
> are assigned it, require us to be at least as stupid as those at risk?

It never ceases to amaze me at how "protected" we think the American public
should be. In other countries, it is assumed that people are smart enough not
to slide down banisters, walk off of cliffs, keep back from ledges, not lean
too far out of windows or over walls and generally not go where they are not
supposed to in the first place. I'm constantly surprised at how few protective
devices are on historic buildings and other sites in Europe.

For example, at the Roman bath in Bath, you can walk right up to the main bath
and even jump in if you were stupid enough. There are no chains, guards or
fences to keep you from doing so - only a sign that says please be careful
around the bath. (I was a tacky American and stuck my finger in the water. :)
In America, you probably couldn't get within 10 feet of the bath and it would
be roped with chains and large signs about the dangers of drowning.

So why is it in America, we have to constantly protect people from doing
obviously stupid things - like sliding down a banister, while in other
countries, it's assumed that you have a modicum of intelligence not to do so?

Deb