From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 10:41:48 -0600
Ann B. Rossilli wrote:

> Hello. I am conducting research on the "team approach" to exhibition
> planning. By the "team approach" I mean the process by which a core
> team--curator, designer, educator and/or developer work
> collaboratively from the start to plan the organiztion of the
> exhibition content intellectually, spatially and experientially.
> Would you please repond to the following questions:
> 1.  Does your museum employ the team approach to exhibition planning?
> 2. If so, is there an exhibition currently on view that is the
> product of the team approach?
> 3. What is the name and e-mail address of the individual at your
> museum who is responsible for exhibitin planning?
> I would appreciate any information you can send. Thanks. Ann P.S.
> This is a "second notice." Much thanks to those who have already
> responded.

We have a permanent exhibit that was a collaborative effort involving
the designer (outside), the curator, a sub-contracted story-line
researcher, and an "exhibit committee" of the Board.  Most of the
concept development and basic design was complete when I arrived on the
scene after which, I promptly took it out of the hands of the exhibit
committee and proceeded to get it finished and installed under staff
supervision.  Had that not happened it would have taken another five
years, at least.

As I came to understand, a number of problems kept this project from
moving along at a reasonable pace:

1. (Before I arrived): Exhibit committee fought constantly with the
researcher (a Ph.D. Historian) about the accuracy of her text.  The
locals were convinced that their understanding of the area history was
correct no matter how much evidence the researcher provided.  The latter
finally prevailed simply because she would not budge.  Her only mistake
was, perhaps, a lack of diplomacy in presenting her findings to the
committee.

2. (Before I arrived): as the design of the exhibit progressed, it
stimulated the vision of the committee, which kept asking for more.  The
designer complied without explaining that each addition would cost more
when it came time to fabricate and install the exhibit.

3.  When I arrived and realized that this exhibit was never going to
come to fruition under the direction of the committee, I found a
convenient deadline event (200th birthday of Stephen F. Austin), got
legislation passed to create a statewide bicentennial celebration, and
announced to the committee that the exhibit would open on Austin's 200th
birthday.  I took over development of the introductory video, the
original script of which had been written by a board member who had been
editor of the local newspaper (it was horrible!).  I found a real
playwright and contracted the job out with far better results.

4.  (After I arrived):  Seeing what was happening, re: #2 above, I
continually pressed the designer on his estimate of fabrication and
installation costs.  He continued to hold on "around $50,000").  When we
went out for bids, they came in at around $180,000.  Fortunately, the
County Judge stepped in and offered the assistance of the building
maintenance crew to construct the panels, which reduced the costs
considerably.  The Curator and I then went through and cut elements from
the design to reduce costs even further.  We made the deadline and
spent, altogether (design, fabrication, installation) $150,000.

Lessons learned:  In designing an exhibit--if you have competent
staff--don't put it in the hands of a lay committee.  We made far more
progress working as a team in-house (the team included everyone:
designer, library clerk, curator, secretary, director, video production
firm and playwright).

I cannot say, however, that the in-house team was involved in the
conceptual development.  But in the case of this exhibit, that framework
was already in place.  It simply had to be documented with accuracy,
which is what the researcher accomplished.  Intellectual development was
pretty much limited to the introductory video.

You can view the results of this project, though not the layout of the
panels, at our website noted below.  Also, late in the project, an
amatuer videographer stepped in the document the project.  I think we
still have copies of his tape and would be happy to send you one.

Sorry if I have told you more than you really wanted to know (Texans do
that a lot).  On the other hand, if I can offer anything else, let me
know.
--
Bob Handy, Director
Brazoria County Historical Museum