From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:02:03 -0400
There is no one answer. It depends on what the maps are made of. (Vellum?
parchment? paper? type of paper?) What the ink is made of.(Iron gall? ball
point?) what caused the damage. (mishandling? inherent vice?) why you want
to repair it.(increase stability? make it look pretty?) Lots of things.

Get advice from a professional conservator who can look at the maps in
person and then tailor the advice to your particular problem.

Diane Gutenkauf
It's my soapbox and I'm not getting down.

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:43:12 -0700, Carolyn Zeitler
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am a librarian who has recently been hired to catalogue and archive a
small historical collection. The Kelley House Museum has a collection of
maps and photographs dating back to the early 1900's. Many are brittle and
torn. What is the current thinking on repairing historical documents with
archival document tape before encapsulating them? What are the best types
of tapes to use?