From:
"Rachel E. Hull" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 18:16:42 -0600
Here's my story...though I think it falls into the urban legend category,
having happened to a "friend of a friend of a friend..."

A museum-goer was viewing an art exhibit consisting of a rock suspended from
the ceiling by a string. Directly below this, there was another rock, which
had the appearance of being "suspended" from the floor, also by a taut
string. The two rocks were seperated by several inches of air.

Of course, we all know gravity doesn't work that way.

But the museum-goer was determined to figure it out. A brief, but thorough,
visual inspection revealed no fishing wire or anything between the rocks.
Sophisticated enough to know that touching the objects was out of the
question, the museum-goer carefully passed his hand through the space
separating the rocks.

The bottom rock went crashing to the floor.

In case you were wondering:
Some time after being wrestled to the ground by a pack of more-than-usually
attentive security guards (all the while shouting "I didn't touch anything!
I swear, I didn't touch anything!") the museum-goer was informed that the
two rocks were magnetized.

Rachel E. Hull * [log in to unmask]
Bolz Center for Arts Administration, UW-Madison Graduate School of Business

For your convenience, our staff is now fluent
in a variety of monosyllabic grunts.