From:
Kathleen Wadell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:05:53 -0400
Hi, Keni and Beth,

Based soley on my experience, a master's in history with a certificate in Museum Studies will get you farther in the museum world than a master's in Public History.  The museum studies classes will introduce you to real museum practices, and will probably give you hands- on
internship practice.  Also, most employers have museum studies backgrounds (public history just isn't a big feild), so they will trust a recent gradute of a museum studies program more.

That said, public history is theoretically fascinating (I got my masters in it). If you have a chance to take a class or two, you definately should.  Also, if you ever decide to go for a PhD, a doctorate in Public HIstory is the way to go (especially if stacked up on a masters in
museum studies).

As for schools, as long as your degree is from a reputable school, it doesn't matter which school.  This is particularly true when you are applying to non- academic jobs in a different geographic region than the school where you got your degree.  As long as the employer has heard of
your school, they will respect it.  It's better to look for a professor you want to work with.  You'll only do about a third of your research in the school library, and the rest at other institutions.  Ask both school departments about nearby archives/ museums/ respositories/
opportunities for oral history.  They will be able to tell you if they know about institutions that collect in your area of interest.

I'm writing this fast, so please ask more questions if I don't make sense.

Katie