From:
"H. Newport" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 17:07:36 EST
Have you tried the Madame C. J. Walker Theatre in Indianapolis, Indiana?  Here is their info:

Madame Walker Theatre
617 Indiana Ave
Indianapolis, IN
317-236-2099

Also, The Children's Museum of Indianapolis has a great deal of Madame Walker items.  In January or February of 1998 the United States Postal Service issued the Madame Walker Stamp.  The Walker Theatre held the unveiling of the stamp and Ms. Bundles spoke and signed autographs.  The Children's Museum (TCM) did a small exhibit in conjunction with the event.  The postal service even let them borrow the "larger than life" stamp used in the unveiling.  I was an intern in the Story Ave. Gallery at TCM during this time and attended the stamp event as well as helped put together the exhibit at museum.  I'm not sure who the curator of the African-American collection is now, but this information may help.  Their info is:

The Children's Museum
3000 N Meridian St.
Indianapolis, IN
317-334-3322 or
317-334-4000

I hope this helps.  You are more than welcome to contact me as well.  I'm not sure how much stuff I still have from then, but I think I have a great deal of information about Madame Walker.

Heather Newport