From:
Ivy Strickler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 1996 13:41:50 -0400
>I tend to disagree with the idea of introducing works of art into the
>commercial arena.  Flooding the market with reproductions of a particular
>work of art would in my mind 'dilute' the value of that work.  It becomes a
>common item, and people may no longer desire to view the original.  Why go
>to a museum to see it when you can look at a representation of the same thi=
ng
>hanging on your wall?  The impression that the work may have had on people
>is different now that anyone can get a copy of it, and I think it diminishe=
>the value of the work in general.

Excuse me, but hasn't this been going on for hundreds of years? People are
still flocking to see the major exhibits even though they can buy posters,
books of prints, etc. I feel like I've missed some part of this thread.

Ivy Fleck Strickler                     Phone 215-895-1637
Drexel University                       Fax 215-895-4917
Nesbitt College of Design Arts          [log in to unmask]
Philadelphia, PA 19104

"Never forget that life is like a Fellini movie, and you're getting to see
it for free=8A"