From:
Elizabeth Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 20:33:46 -0400
>I believe leaving dates or gaps in your employment history is another "no
no".

I guess I just want to address the gap in employment issue. Is it
considered a gap if you are in school at the time? I have some gaps that
may stick out, most of which are while I was in graduate school (or
undergraduate) and I was working to pay the bills at the time. I am not
hiding anything other than my waitress and temping experience that simply
cannot fit on my already 2 page resume. I have chosen to include my
Smithsonian volunteer work and exclude the waitrees time (this seems to
follow the arguments that resumes should be relevant to the position)

Also I want to ask, how bad is it to have a series of short term jobs? Is
there a way to make it clear that it is not from my flightiness but from
availability and budget constraints on the museum's part?

>I would be interested in knowing the statistics of other job seekers...and
how
>many jobs they are interviewed for per the total number of jobs they
>applied.  I am also interested in "age" and "education" -- if that is having
>anything to do with being "over-qualified" and not getting interviews.

I am 28, with a Master's and a decent amount of experience. I have been
unemployed for over a year. (Though 4-5 months of that I halted the search
due to family illness/death) I have had two paid short term gigs (since
graduation)  and a long volunteer job, plus several internships while in
school. I have applied to well over 100 jobs and had 5 in-person
interviews, three I have travelled for and several more phone interviews.
Now dedicated to full time searching and applying....

Elizabeth Walton
www.clothelinejournal.com/resume

read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).