From:
Prevart GmbH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:12:37 +0200
Dear collegues,

The use of bar code labelling may be of use under certain circumstances.

We have used bar code labelling on big scale for historic objects during
the move of whole collections (e.g. collections of more than 5'000
objects to be handled). We produced over 70'000 labels in the last 7
years with no problems so far. We use labels made of PP, PE, Tyvec or
acidfree cardboard with a thermo transfer print. We fix them to the
objects with cord oder nylon clips. In some cases we put them into the
objects (eg. jars, cups) or stitch the tyvec labels (with four wholes in
the corners of the label) on textiles. So far we never fixed them
directly to the objects by mean of adhesives. The only case we use self
adhesive polyester labels (with low solvent acryllic adhesive ) are for
labelling (metal) shelves. On boxed objects like costumes we use
laserprinted bar codes glued traditionally on the outside of the box
(never use non water proof prints!).
You need of course some time to produce and fix the tags to the objects
but every single registration of an object afterwards during handling is
then very quick and easy. I think that you need as much time to produce
and fix the label on the objects as you gain when registering the object
afterwards on its new position.

So far for the technical aspect.

But why use bar coding?

Bar code labelling is only interesting if you use them to register the
objects position on the shelves in the storage and to send this
information back to the database (e.g. online or by batch processing).
In order to do that you need bar code labelling on both the object and
the shelves.

We use bar code labelling always together with analog  information (e.g.
inventory number, denomination) which is on the same tag (but we never
put the location where the object belongs to in the storage on the tag).
The bar code is in our case nothing else than the machine readable
inventory number that helps you to facilitate future handling jobs. So
in the rare case where the bar code is no longer readable (scratched)
you can use the analog information (in super markets the problem with
bar code is the crumpling of the label and not the scratching). As we
use industry standard code 128 every information is checked by the
system (check sum) in order to have no false information (e.g. a wrong
Inv. Nr.). If the system can't read the information you still have the
analog information.

The advantage of bar code labelling is that you have the opportunity to
set up a quality system during the move of your objects and can trace
your objects during the whole operation (more an more important if you
are contracted as a company for such an operation and have to give proof
of your work). Some times you have to move objects several times and
operation ends only after an odysee of several months (or years) and
different locations but nevertheless you need instant access to the
objects the whole time ... (nice challenge when you move 100'000 objects
as we did)
But the real benefit of bar code labelling begins only after the move
when you have to register the new location of every single object on the
shelves within the storage. We did such a job registering 500 chairs
within two hours ... Another aspect is that some bar code systems help
you to facilitate to make regularly condition or collection surveys in
order to set up priorities in conservation. You scan the objects bar
code with the reader an add the condition information (e.g. number from
1 to 4) an send this information back to the database.

There are of coures some restrictions for bar code labelling.

1) Bar codes can only be produced if the object information (e.g. Inv.
Nr., denomination) is available on electronic database.
2) You need (sometimes costly) technical equipment and software
3) Bar code labelling is difficult for small objects (e.g. coins,
jewellery) although  2D labels my be as small as 14 x 14 mm.
4) the tag is not fixed permanently to the object an can get lost (bar
code does not prevent you of labelling correctly your object in an old
fashioned analog way on the object itself)
5) Bar code labelling is in our oppinion only reasonable for bigger
amounts of objects to be processed (e.g. 5000 objects and more)

So there are several good resons to use bar code labelling in museums.
The right technology in the right place. Bar code labelling can not
replace good object labelling but it can help museum staff to make their
work easier and more efficient.

Sincerely
Joachim Huber

P.S. There are even more sofisticated technologies like transponders
which are used as well in museums and libraries, but this is another
story I am myself very sceptic.

Prevart GmbH - Museumsplaner - Konzepte für die Kulturgütererhaltung
Oberseenerstrasse 93
CH-8405 Winterthur (Switzerland)
T + 41 (0)52 233 12 54
F + 41 (0)52 233 12 57