From:
Neal Stiffelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 12:02:58 -0800
This seems an uninformed response, in some ways as much as was the
original claim.  Learn something about the History of Science.  It was as
much driven by the development of the arts as by any other field.  The
list of books on this subject is long, but extremely interesting.  The
main point here is that simply because a certain model for communication
happened to develop, one cannot assume that "science" or "scientists"
sprang fully developed from such a clamshell.  I think that the
development of a way of seeing the world, of imagining the world, of a
certain philosophy, began with the work of Renaissance artists.  Even if
Leonardo had never tinkered with mechanical invention or imagination, he
would still be one of the greatest of scientists.  And yet his fertile
mind brought so much more.

If you like, I'll provide a bibliography relevant to this discussion...