From:
Jerry Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 11:38:46 -0600
To the list,

   I'd like to get some feedback from the list on the sale of
reproductions from collections.
  We have a large collection of architectural ornament salvaged from the
buildings of the architect Louis H. Sullivan. Many years ago we produced
a  large number of rubber molds from some of the more ornate objects. We
used them to put together a couple of light weight traveling
exhibitions,  reproducing the originals in resin and fiberglass. There
was also a small amount of trading / sales with other institutions. But
none with the general public.
  Lately around here the powers that be have been looking at the
reproduction process with $ signs in their eyes. I, however, am
wondering what pitfalls might happen if we do give the general public
access to these reproductions.
 What control should we have over them after the sale?
 Should the number of repros be limited?
 Are there any circumstances were the sale wouldn't be appropriate?
 What are the ethical considerations?
 I'm aware that when dealing with reproductions the copy should be
easily recognized from the original. I always install a small glitch in
them so if any unauthorized copies are made we can tell.
 Any input from out there in museum land???

 Jerry Fahey
 Exhibits Preparator
 University Museum
 Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville