From:
"Scott D. Peters" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 23:30:54 -0400
The scrapbooks may be for "institutional records" only, but assuming you're
even partly a public institution, those scrapbooks will be part of your
collection at some point in time. If you are a 501(c)3 non-profit, those
scrapbooks _could_ be considered as records available for public inspection.

All that aside, all your internal or institutional records should be
maintained as archival items and treated like any other part of your
manuscripts collection. Just keep in mind that if they are modern newsprint,
their life expectancy may be less than 20 years anyway. Since modern
newsprint is already a lost cause in terms of preservation from the
beginning, I would suggest  you use whatever archival quality mounting
materials you can obtain for the least cost. After all, you're only
maintaining a record of _information_ about your organization, not
necessarily the sources of that information. At some point in the future,
you would then want to have the completed scrapbook microfilmed to preserve
a record of the information contained within them and to preserve a record
of the scrapbooks' organization.

My 2 cents.

Scott D. Peters
Research Director/Archivist
Ocean County Historical Society
26 Hadley Ave., P.O. Box 2191
Toms River, NJ 08754-2191
(732) 341-1880

"Telling the Stories of Ocean County"

Historically Speaking
ALHFAM -FPIPN vice-chair for trivia, errata and miscellany

"The ordinary distinctions in society are often vague, and imply no just
pre-eminence: rank and titles are
adventitious things and instead of designating merit or virtue, are
frequently the baubles of imbecility, or
the sparkling decorations of meretricious pageantry"

William Griffith, on behalf, and by order of the New-Jersey Society for
promoting the gradual Abolition
of Slavery, Twelfth Month (December) 20th, 1803