From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 09:20:29 -0700
Murl,

You might reconsider your comments, rather than unleash the cliché "woe is
me" attitude of underpaid folks or, even worse, "ugly American" attitude.

It's likely a waste of finger-power, but I'll point out:

(1) The current exchange rate for 500E Euro is $585 US -- not $700 US.  (And
by your calculations, apparently, a month only has three weeks?)

(2) This man and his wife are offering their personal residence which, I am
certain, is furnished far better than an average hotel room or furnished
apartment in Rome.

(3) Low-cost apartments and hotels are 80 Euro per night -- or 560 Euro per
week.  Don't believe me?  Check out prices at Expedia, Travelocity, or
(Rental in Rome (www.rentalinrome.com).

(4) Would you have dared to write the same ridiculous comment had the
reference librarian from a major American library (say, the Library of
Congress) was going to rent his/her apartment for $585 per week?  Likely
not.

Those who criticize without proper rationale are . . . uhm . . . worth
criticizing.

Happy Wednesday,

Jay Heuman
Curator of Education