From:
Dan Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 07:40:01 -0400
First, it is not a "sin" to deaccess objects from the permanent collection.
Many, many ethically stellar institutions have, and do on a regular basis.
In fact, it is healthy for an organization to periodically review it's
holdings in light of its approved mission statement. Most museums have sound
policies that govern the process--as does AAM.

Obviously, a serious problem arises when an IRS recognized 501 c (3)
organization decides to dispose of some or all of its collections contrary
to its own policies and procedures (particularly, how the proceeds are
used).  Also, board members have a fiduciary responsibility, once the
decision is made to deaccess, to seek the fair market value for an item
(assuming that it is not being donated/transferred to another non-profit
institution). Thus most boards opt to auction deaccessioned objects in some
type of open market.

Dan Perry
DK Perry & Assoc.