From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 09:34:46 -0500
In my view, it is silly, in this day and age, for an historical museum to
ignore slavery if it is part of the heritage being interpreted.  And there
are new perspectives on slavery that come to light if the museum does its
research properly.

For example, when slavery was introduced at the Jamestown Settlement museum
in 1990, after being ignored altogether, research turned up the fact that
some of the earliest blacks who worked the James River plantations were
actually indentured, and once they earned their passage and were freed,
bought lands of their own -- and also bought slaves to provide the labor.

A moment of meditation on this suggests to me that much of American society
is held in a different kind of bondage even today.  I refer to the role of
human beings in an economy that is being driven increasingly by the big
stockholders, and by "political correctness."