From:
Cyndi Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 09:42:02 -0600
Dear Dr. Genoways:

I have been purchasing objects on eBay for several years now.  So far, I
have had little problems.  We use it to fill in gaps in collections for
certain makes and models of antique automobiles.  Sometimes it is much
easier, not to mention sometimes a great deal less expensive, to find
items on eBay than having to travel long distances.

I usually look very carefully at the item description and the pictures
and send the item to our director.  If we have any questions we contact
the seller and hopefully get a satisfactory response.   He either will
place a maximum bid or has me watch the item and place the bid depending
on the item.  Sometimes we have to watch the item carefully depending on
if the seller has placed a reserve price.  Usually the only problem I
have had is that sometimes the pictures sent are a little grainy or
fuzzy and do not always show all the conditions features.  But I usually
find that the sellers are mostly very honest about the items they are
selling and upfront with condition factors.

When the seller finds out that I purchased the object for a museum, they
are usually surprised and flattered that we thought highly enough of
their item to place a bid on it.  Usually they keep us in mind if they
have something else they want to sell and are asking a reasonable price
for.  They often would like their item go to a museum where they know it
will be in good hands and well appreciated.

Believe it or not, I have also had other museums contact me after seeing
us bid or win an auction.  This has led to being able to exchange
information with other institutions and making new contacts.  I have
also had other people contact me for information for research projects,
which we are always willing to help with.  We have also built a rapport
with certain sellers that offer materials.  They know our interests and
we know the quality that they sell so sometimes they contact us directly
with items to sell.  And if we are bidding on more than one item from
the same seller, they will usually let us combine the shipping and
handling for one price or even wait until the auctions end if there is
quite a lag time between items.

Very rarely do people contact me with other items to buy that are not
offered on eBay.  When this does happen, I ask them to send pictures of
the items for sale with a description and price before forwarding them
on.  My director then makes the final decision.  Sometimes I have had
sellers contact me if a reserve has not been met and ask me if I am
still interested.  We then enter into discussion of what we're willing
to pay and what they are willing to sell for.  Usually not always, we
are able to reach some type of agreement.

I do identify myself with my screen name on eBay as a museum.  It is
actually kind of interesting to watch what happens next.  Sometimes
people don't like to bid against a museum so the bidding will stay
relatively low.  Or depending on the rarity of the item, people will
definitely bid against you.

I have never encountered a problem with using Paypal, either.  Since
eBay purchased the Omaha based group, they have heightened the security
features and are willing to work with you about setting up an account
with them.  We have the museum account under the director's name as it
saves a lot of confusion when paying for an auction.

I hope this helps,

Cynthia A. Edwards
Museum Curator

Merrick Auto Museum