From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:22:51 -0700
--- Kathleen Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >Sorry to those of you pro musicians out there if I'm representing this
> >pretty simplified view incorrectly. But I think this illustrates the point,
> >IMHO, that Unions can serve a valid purpose if there is a need. Maybe
> >someone could make a comparison to organizations that represent highly-paid
> >workers such as doctors and lawyers. How do those unions (Medical
> >Associations, the Bar?) leverage better pay for their members?

On the flip side, most teachers I know don't like the NEA (one of the teacher's
union) yet join because it gives them malpractice insurance. Teacher's pay is
almost as bad as museum pay and certainly not getting any better.

To my understanding, insurance is a big purpose of doctors and lawyer unions.
Another reason is "certification" for lack of a better term. If you are a
member, you have to have certain qualifications which sets an industry
standard. They don't really need the pay leverage as they are already highly
paid but they do need the malpractice insurance. I've never heard a medicial
union arguing for higher pay for doctors though nurses unions have certainly
gotten involved with strikes and wage negotiation.

Deb