From:
Todd Happer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 17:52:22 -0400
Chuck--
According to the post below, you are correct about Valentina Tereshkova being
on Vostok 6.  Apparently, today is the anniversary of her 1963 launch.
--Todd Happer
Scientific American

++++++++++++++++++++++=

 The Learning Kingdom's Today in History for June 16, 1999

           Imre Nagy, Valentina Tereshkova, Soweto Uprising

June 16, 1958
Hungarian reform leader Imre Nagy was executed for his role during the
1956 uprising against the Soviet occupation of Hungary.  An
independent communist who was critical of Soviet expansionism, he was
recalled as premier shortly before the uprising.  After the rebellion
was crushed he was tried and put to death.

A photograph of Imre Nagy:
http://www.sopron.hu/paneu-piknik/nagyi_uk.htm

June 16, 1963
Soviet cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova became the first woman to go
into space when her spacecraft, Vostok 6, was launched.  Tereshkova
manually controlled Vostok 6 during the almost three-day long flight.

In her first and only space flight, Tereshkova completed 48 earth
orbits:
http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/StarChild/whos_who_level2/tereshkova.html

June 16, 1976
A student uprising began in Soweto, South Africa's largest township,
against the government's insistence that the Afrikaans language be
used as the medium of instruction in Soweto's schools.  During the
demonstrations, thousands of black children and adults were killed by
South Africa's police and troops.  June 16th was later declared South
Africa's National Youth Day.

Images of the student uprising taken by photographer Peter Magubane:
http://www.mojones.com/photofund/magubane.html

Today's Sponsor:     KidSolutions     http://www.kidsolutions.com

Need new ideas for spending time with your Kids?
We've got the Solutions! The KidSolutions Weekly e-zine features
humorous and heartwarming stories, games, travel & craft tips,
kid friendly recipes, money saving tips and more!  To get your FREE
weekly subscription, send a blank e-mail to:
[log in to unmask]  http://www.kidsolutions.com

            Copyright (c) 1999, The Learning Kingdom, Inc.
                    http://www.LearningKingdom.com

On 6/16/99, Museum discussion list wrote:
>Ola Luis,
>
>Yes, there are a few missing pieces. In addition to the Surveyor series,
>the Ranger spacecraft returned important information to help us learn
>about the Moon in preparation for the crewed missions. You have also
>overlooked the two-person Gemini orbital missions, which developed
>the techniques of rendezvous and docking two spacecraft, spacewalks,
>spacecraft control, and the technology and human factors knowledge
>for longer missions. You might want to mention the first woman to fly in
>space, Valentina Tereshkova. (I think she was in Vostok 6, but I'm not
>sure.) The Soviets also returned samples of lunar material to Earth with
>an automated probe in the same time period as the U.S. Apollo
>landings. You may also want to include the loss of the three American
>astronauts in the Apollo 1 launch pad fire. They were Gus Grissom, Ed
>White, and Roger Chaffee. The flight of  the chimpanzee named Ham
>was probably more significant than those of Able and Baker. I would
>encourage you to try to convey the attitudes of excitement, adventure,
>and optimism about the future that were so much a part of the space
>program in those days. Good luck with your show!
>
>Chuck Stout
>

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>http://museums.state.nm.us/nmmnh/museum-l.html. You may obtain
>detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line
>e-mail message to [log in to unmask] The body of the
>message should read "help" (without the quotes).
>
>If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail
>message to
>[log in to unmask] The body of the message should read
>"Signoff
>Museum-L" (without the quotes).
>

>RFC822 header
>Newsgroups:   bit.listserv.museum-l