From:
David Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:37:45 -0500
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:36:30 -0600, Henry B. Crawford
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Why is there so much gobbledygook in MUSEUM-L digest messages?  Some are
>repeats of the same message with all kinds of computer code stuff in it.
>It's a major pain to scroll through it all.   Is there anything I can do?
>Does it matter if I'm on a Mac?
>
>Henry B. Crawford

Henry,

It does not matter that you are on a Mac... or Windows... or LINUX...

The reason why you see the gobbledygook is that many people who submit
messages to Museum-L have their settings on their email program of choice
set to use HTML. Granted, that allows them to do all sorts of fun things
with typeface, font size, colors, and other graphical nonsense. The result
is that they send information that is fine by itself, but it becomes
nonsense when it is seen out of the appropriate format (cobbled together
as a forward to the rest of us).

I doubt that anyone is doing this maliciously. I would imagine they are as
confused about the cause as you are.

To All: If you are one of the individuals who see their personal posts
mixed up with a LOT of computer code, please go to the settings on your
email program and make sure that you have HTML turned off when you send.
Alternatively, submit your entries on the web page.

Cheers!

David Kennedy
Robert W. Woodruff Curator
Cody Firearms Museum