Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:24:15 -0400
Regardless of how some might want to re-characterize it, the the U.S.
civil war, like any war, was a continuation of politics by violent
means.

Any survey of the decades leading up to 1860 surely shows that it was
very much grounded in slavery as an economic and political system - and
the terms cited in this thread are references to that system.

'States rights' was the code for maintaining legal slavery in those
jurisdictions where it was established. That was an bloody issue as the
U.S. formally annexed territory in it's westward expansion. Texas is a
prime example; the periodically re-valorized heroes of the Alamo
(Bowie, Crockett, et al) were in fact slavers interested in annexing
Texas to become a slave state. Consider also the so-called Missouri
Compromise, the Kansas-Nebraska Act, the Dred Scott Decision, etc.

That the war commenced on the matter of secession only requires that we
ask why the southern confederacy was formed in the first place - to
maintain legalized slavery.

Between 1620 and 1860 tens of millions, perhaps hundreds of millions of
people were kidnapped from Africa and brought to North and South
America. Millions died during the middle passage. Millions more were
brutalized, raped, and murdered by their slavemasters in the New World.

What does it mean to characterize the Civil War as a 'tragedy' or an
'unpleasantness' - to fight to bring slavery to an end?

However this might relate to quaint issues of family loyalty, in the
afterglow, it is surely superseded by issues of human rights. To
celebrate or commemorate the cause of slavery at any time, much less in
2005, is not just questionable, its abhorrent.

In the present-day US political and cultural climate, it is also not
surprising. For example the U.S. president and central government
promote the slogan of 'states' rights' - when it suits their agenda -
and veneer the concept with additional ideological signs such as
'family values', 'traditional morality', and 'god'.  Meanwhile
conservative cultural voices advocate a similar prism be used to
re-interpret the past.

I'd rather not  ...

- L.D.