From:
"Panza, Robin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:28:29 -0400
I think the difference of opinion here (below) about "hand-rubbed" bronzes
is rather like the difference between National Parks and National Monuments
in the US.  Museums and national parks aim at preservation, sculpture
gardens and national forests aim at careful use (ok, so sometimes the
forests aren't so carefully used).

Klein points out that sculpture in museums can be considered damaged and
therefore verboten.  Booth points out that sculpture in gardens, without
barriers, can be considered loved.  Both of these view have their place,
just as both of the venues have their place.  I think these two are arguing
apples and oranges.

just my opinion,
Robin
Robin K Panza                         [log in to unmask]
Collection Manager, Section of Birds          ph:  412-622-3255
Carnegie Museum of Natural History       fax: 412-622-8837
4400 Forbes Ave.
Pittsburgh  PA  15213-4008  USA