From:
Wayne and Mary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 16:07:37 -0500
On 4 Jan 99,, the dancing digits of Wade Lawrence delivered:

> What is the current thinking in the conservation community about the use
> of PVC piping for storing rolled architectural drawings?

The last I heard vinyl (PVC) in any form should be avoided.

> Does PVC offgass anything that
> will harm any of these media?

Vinyl off gasses chlorine.  If I remember right from my chemistry
classes, chlorine will combine with the oxygen in whatever it
contacts.  It will usually pull the oxygen out of any other
molecules.

Wayne Haegele