From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:45:21 -0500

Thanks Dirk,

Fascinating. I did not know that the Catholic Church, as an entity, is

regularly referred to as "she."

The author does a great job of delineating scientific method, and clearly

acknowledges the incompatibility of metaphysical investigation and

scientific investigation. The primary issue/conflict seems to be the

development of the mind of a self-aware being, and how to explain it.

Over all, I would have to say kudos to the author and their obvious desire

to find a middle ground on the issue while continuing to support their

faith.

Mark Janzen

Registrar/Collections Manager

Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art

Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection

Wichita State University

(316)978-5850

             Dirk Van

             Tuerenhout

             <[log in to unmask]>                                           To

             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]

             discussion list                                            cc

             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject

                                       Re: evolution, dogma, religious

                                       right, and Discovery Institute

             07/11/2005 10:23

             AM

             Please respond to

             Museum discussion

                   list

               SE.LSOFT.COM>

I would like to thank all of you who responded with creative ideas about

what one could do to make science exhibits more engaging to the public. A

long-term effort (of almost geologic time scale proportions) will be

required to keep setting the record straight and to keep informing people

what evolution is all about.

With regard to the position of the Vatican, here is the full text of the

Vatican position on this topic.  It is dated 22 October 1996.  It remains

the official Vatican position until further notice.

Thanks

Dirk Van Tuerenhout

"          MESSAGE TO PONTIFICAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES

 Magisterium is concerned with question of evolution, for it involves

conception of man

“Man is called to enter into a relationship of knowledge and love with God

himself, a relationship which will find its complete fulfilment beyond

time, in eternity. All the depth and grandeur of this vocation are revealed

to us in the mystery of the risen Christ (cf. Gaudium et spes, n. 22). It

is by virtue of his spiritual soul that the whole person possesses such a

dignity even in his body. Pius XII stressed this essential point: if the

human body takes its origin from pre-existent living matter, the spiritual

soul is immediately created by God”, the Holy Father said in a Message to

the members of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences who had gathered in the

Vatican for their plenary assembly. The focus of the Pope's reflections was

the relationship between Revelation and theories of evolution. Here is a

translation of his Message, which was written in French and dated 22

October.

To the Members of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences taking part in the

Plenary Assembly

With great pleasure I address cordial greetings to you, Mr President, and

to all of you who constitute the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, on the

occasion of your plenary assembly. I offer my best wishes in particular to

the new academicians, who have come to take part  in your work for the

first time. I would also like to remember the academicians who died during

the past year, whom I commend to the Lord of life.

1. In celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Academy’s refoundation, I

would like to recall the intentions of my predecessor Pius XI, who wished

to surround himself with a select group of scholars, relying on them to

inform the Holy See in complete freedom about developments in scientific

research, and thereby to assist him in his reflections.

He asked those whom he called the Church's Senatus scientificus to serve

the truth. I again extend this same invitation to you today, certain that

we will all be able to profit from the fruitfulness of a trustful dialogue

between the Church and science (cf. Address to the Academy of Sciences, n.

1, 28 October 1986; L’Osservatore Romano English edition,  24 November

1986, p. 22).

Science at the dawn of  the third millennium

2. I am pleased with the first theme you have chosen, that of the origins

of life and evolution, an essential subject which deeply interests the

Church, since Revelation, for its part, contains teaching concerning the

nature and origins of man. How do the conclusions reached by the various

scientific disciplines coincide with those contained in the message of

Revelation? And if, at first sight, there are apparent contradictions, in

what direction do we look for their solution? We know, in fact, that truth

cannot contradict truth (cf. Leo XIII, Encyclical Providentissimus Deus).

Moreover, to shed greater light on historical truth, your research on the

Church’s relations with science between the 16th and 18th centuries is of

great importance.

During this plenary session, you are undertaking a “reflection on science

at the dawn of the third millennium”, starting with the identification of

the principal problems created by the sciences and which affect humanity’s

future. With this step you point the way to solutions which will be

beneficial to the whole human community. In the domain of inanimate and

animate nature, the evolution of science and its applications gives rise to

new questions. The better the Church's knowledge is of their essential

aspects, the more she will understand their impact. Consequently, in

accordance with her specific mission she will be able to offer criteria for

discerning the moral conduct required of all human beings in view of their

integral salvation.

3. Before offering you several reflections that more specifically concern

the subject of the origin of life and its evolution, I would like to remind

you  that the Magisterium of the Church has already made pronouncements on

these matters within the framework of her own competence. I will cite here

two interventions.

In his Encyclical Humani generis (1950), my predecessor Pius XII had

already stated that there was no opposition between evolution and the

doctrine of the faith about man and his vocation, on condition that one did

not lose sight of several indisputable points (cf. AAS 42 [1950], pp.

575-576). [Emphasis added.]

For my part, when I received those taking part in your Academy’s plenary

assembly on 31 October 1992, I had the opportunity, with regard to Galileo,

to draw attention to the need of a rigorous hermeneutic for the correct

interpretation of the inspired word. It is necessary to determine the

proper sense of Scripture, while avoiding any unwarranted interpretations

that make it say what it does not intend to say. In order to delineate the

field of their own study, the exegete and the theologian must keep informed

about the results achieved by the natural sciences (cf. AAS 85 [1993], pp.

764-772; Address to the Pontifical Biblical Commission, 23 April 1993,

announcing the document on The Interpretation of the Bible in the Church:

AAS 86 [1994] pp. 232-243).

Evolution and the  Church's Magisterium

4. Taking into account the state of scientific research at the time as well

as  of the requirements of theology, the Encyclical Humani generis

considered the doctrine of “evolutionism” a serious hypothesis, worthy of

investigation and in-depth study equal to that of the opposing hypothesis.

Pius XII added two methodological conditions: that this opinion should not

be adopted as though it were a certain, proven doctrine and as though one

could totally prescind from Revelation with regard to the questions it

raises. He also spelled out the condition on which this opinion would be

compatible with the Christian faith, a point to which I will return.

Today, almost half a century after the publication of the Encyclical, new

knowledge has led to the recognition of more than one hypothesis in the

theory of evolution. It is indeed remarkable that this theory has been

progressively accepted by researchers, following a series of discoveries in

various fields of knowledge. The convergence, neither sought nor

fabricated, of the results of work that was conducted independently is in

itself a significant argument in favour of this theory.

What is the significance of such a theory? To address this question is to

enter the field of epistemology. A theory is a metascientific elaboration,

distinct from the results of observation but consistent with them. By means

of it a series of independent data and facts can be related and interpreted

in a unified explanation. A theory's validity depends on whether or not it

can be verified; it is constantly tested against the facts; wherever it can

no longer explain the latter, it shows its limitations and unsuitability.

It must then be rethought.

Furthermore, while the formulation of a theory like that of evolution

complies with the need for consistency with the observed data, it borrows

certain notions from natural philosophy.

And, to tell the truth, rather than the theory of evolution, we should

speak of several theories of evolution. On the one hand, this plurality has

to do with the different explanations advanced for the mechanism of

evolution, and on the other, with the various philosophies on which it is

based. Hence the existence of materialist, reductionist and spiritualist

interpretations. What is to be decided here is the true role of philosophy

and, beyond it, of theology.

5. The Church’s Magisterium is directly concerned with the question of

evolution, for it involves the conception of man: Revelation teaches us

that  he was created in the image and likeness of God (cf. Gn 1:27-29). The

conciliar Constitution Gaudium et spes has magnificently explained this

doctrine, which is pivotal to Christian thought. It recalled that man is

“the only creature on earth that God has wanted for its own sake” (n. 24).

In other terms, the human individual cannot be subordinated as a pure means

or a pure instrument, either to the species or to society; he has value per

se. He is a person. With his intellect and his will, he is capable of

forming a relationship of communion, solidarity and self-giving with his

peers. St Thomas observes that man’s likeness to God resides especially in

his speculative intellect, for his relationship with the object of his

knowledge resembles  God’s relationship with what he has created (Summa

Theologica, I-II, q. 3,  a. 5, ad 1). But even more, man is called to enter

into a relationship of knowledge and love with God himself, a relationship

which will find its complete fulfilment beyond time, in eternity. All the

depth and grandeur of this vocation are revealed to us in the mystery of

the risen Christ (cf. Gaudium et spes, n. 22). It is by virtue of his

spiritual soul that the whole person possesses such a dignity even in his

body. Pius XII stressed this essential point: if the human body takes its

origin from pre-existent living matter, the spiritual soul is immediately

created by God (“animas enim a Deo immediate creari catholica fides nos

retinere iubet”; Encyclical Humani generis, AAS 42 [1950], p. 575).

Consequently, theories of evolution which, in accordance with the

philosophies inspiring them, consider the mind as emerging from the forces

of living matter, or as a mere epiphenomenon of this matter, are

incompatible with the truth about man. Nor are they able to ground the

dignity of the person.

6. With man, then, we find ourselves in the presence of an ontological

difference, an ontological leap, one could say. However, does not the

posing of such ontological discontinuity run counter to that physical

continuity which seems to be the main thread of research into evolution in

the field of physics and chemistry? Consideration of the method used in the

various branches of knowledge makes it possible to reconcile two points of

view which would seem irreconcilable. The sciences of observation describe

and measure the multiple manifestations of life with increasing precision

and correlate them with the time line. The moment of transition to the

spiritual cannot be the object of this kind of observation, which

nevertheless can discover at the experimental level a series of very

valuable signs indicating what is specific to the human being. But the

experience of metaphysical knowledge, of self-awareness and

self-reflection, of moral conscience, freedom, or again, of aesthetic and

religious experience, falls within the competence of philosophical analysis

and reflection, while theology brings out its ultimate meaning according to

the Creator’s plans.

We are called to  enter eternal life

7. In conclusion, I would like to call to mind a Gospel truth which can

shed a higher light on the horizon of your research into the origins and

unfolding of living matter. The Bible in fact bears an extraordinary

message of life. It gives us a wise vision of life inasmuch as it describes

the loftiest forms of existence. This vision guided me in the Encyclical

which I dedicated to respect for human life, and which I called precisely

Evangelium vitae.

It is significant that in St John's Gospel life refers to the divine light

which Christ communicates to us. We are called to enter into eternal life,

that is to say, into the eternity of divine beatitude.

To warn us against the serious temptations threatening us, our Lord quotes

the great saying of Deuteronomy: “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by

every word that proceeds from the mouth of God” (Dt 8:3; cf. Mt 4:4).

Even more, “life” is one of the most beautiful titles which the Bible

attributes  to God. He is the living God.

I cordially invoke an abundance of divine blessings upon you and upon all

who are close to you.

From the Vatican, 22 October 1996.

Subscriber Information:

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at