From:
Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 11:42:55 -0700
This discussion has broadened from the original question, and has
brought up a lot of different 'claim' problems. I dealt with all the
situations you have all mentioned and many more equally nasty in a
collection I once worked with.

I'm glad someone finally brought up the IRS in this discussion. It is
actually the bottom line reason why you can't return items to donors.
My understanding from a Leonard DuBoff seminar (author of The Desk Book
of Art Law) is that it doesn't matter whether or not the donor actually
took the tax deduction... they were eligible to, and the IRS thus
considers the property was transferred from private to public sectors.
To transfer it back to private sector requires compensation to the
public sector.  (i.e. the donor could buy it back from you, but guess
how well telling them THAT goes over!)

As for old loans, they are always loans and cannot be disposed of or
claimed until you go through the entire process of your state's
'Unclaimed Loan" law, which can take years and a lot of time and money
in advertising for the donor or heirs.  You are stuck with them until
you do that. (See story below for why you should not sereptiously cause
them to vanish, no matter how unuseful they are to your collection.)

And as for returning old loans to heirs, the ONLY way they can prove
that they are the rightful person to claim the item is if they can bring
you documentation that they are the executor of the estate.  You can
ONLY turn something over to the executor of the donor's estate. There is
NO WAY (except a will) to "...prove the donor/lender wanted them to have
the item." I found that in many cases things had been given to the
museum so that the donor didn't have to deal with multiple relatives who
wanted the items. There were even occasionally letters in the file
stating that 'under no circumstances ever give this to ____ ' (named
relatives).

Last but not least, the ONLY way you can protect yourself and those who
come after you is to get clear title to every single item that comes to
your museum!! (Or document that it was left on the doorstep in the
night.)

--Imagine being the Museum Director in this true story:  donor/lender
"leaves" large collection of antique guns (~ 35) in museum in the 1920s.
(No record as to whether it was a gift or a loan.) His son believes that
his father (the donor/lender) meant him to have the collection but he
never claims it. Then, in his will, he leaves the collection to HIS son
(the donor/lender's grandson). The grandson, as executor of his father's
estate cannot settle the estate and distribute to other heirs until the
matter is resolved, AND the grandson is upset because about half of the
collection seems to be missing from the museum.  What would YOU do?

Lucy Sperlin