From:
Martin Taureg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 16:13:21 +0000
At 12:35 15.12.97 +0000, Patrick J. Boylan wrote:
[snip]
>There was also a major exhibition on all aspects of cannabis (and some
>other drugs) in Holland about 10+ years ago which you might like to
>follow up - at the Tropen Museum, Amsterdam, as I remember it, but it
>might have been at one of the City Museums (Amsterdam?, Rotterdam?).
>
>It had a very memorable poster that at least one MUSEUM-L-er must surely
>still have on their office or kitchen wall! Titled "Droga" or something
>similar I think - can anyone else help?).

As far as I can remember, this exhibition was a cooperation of some sort
between the ethnographic museums of Rotterdam and Cologne, Germany. The
title of the German version was "Rausch und Realität – Drogen im
Kulturvergleich". A voluminous anthology of historical and ethnographic
accounts of drug use (2 vols. hardbound, 3 vols. paperback) was published
by the museum and taken up by Rowohlt Verlag in Hamburg. I have no idea
whether it's still available. Editors: Gisela Völger et al.  (1981).
For details, write to:
Rautenstrauch-Joest-Museum für Völkerkunde
Ubierring 45
D-50678 Köln, Germany
Fax: ++49 221 2214155

Good luck,

Martin Taureg
Photo Archives Programme Coordinator /
Coordinateur du Programme des Archives Photographiques

PROGRAMME DES MUSEES DE L'AFRIQUE DE L'OUEST /
WEST AFRICAN MUSEUMS PROGRAMME (WAMP)
140, Rue Moussé Diop
B. P. 357
Dakar, SENEGAL

Phone / Téléphone:  (++221) 822 50 57 / 823 88 48
Fax / Télécopie:    (++221) 822 12 33
E-mail / Courrier électronique:       [log in to unmask]