From:
danepollei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 14:53:12 -0400
I believe most museums took precautions for the collections/exhibitions.
We de-installed certain galleries, consolidated storage, boarded up
where possible.

We did all of the above, and the artwork in the galleries was safe.  We
had heavy damage to our education center and minor to the other
buildings.  The art galleries will re-open Friday.  Our science center
is closed until the education center attached to it can be made dry,
safe and secure.

Luckily, the Army Reserves set up in the parking lot next to us and we
did not have to worry about looting.  Other museums in the state of
Florida have graciously sent out e-mails offering assistance. We've been
busy assessing our own damage and preparing for re-opening as well as
gallery changes so I haven't heard about other institutions at this
point.

All of our staff are safe and accounted for, though most of us do not
have electricity at home.

Dane F. Pollei
Executive Director
Brevard Museum of Art and Science